Support us with an additional donation
The Mission of the Kona Coast Dog Training Club is to cultivate a community of Responsible Dog Owners in West Hawaii by offering high quality AKC training classes, and other public services related to that goal.
Kennel cough, a canine respiratory disease, continues to be active in Kona. Dogs vaccinated for Bordetella have been affected. The risk for transmitting Kennel Cough is minimized by holding classes outdoors and maintaining 6’ social distancing for both humans and canines. Dogs are on leash at all times and may not meet nose-to-nose. Please check with your veterinarian for further information.
Canine Good Citizen is an AKC certification that stresses responsible pet ownership and basic good manners for dogs over 1 year old (OR have completed S.T.A.R. Puppy.)
STAR Puppy is an AKC beginner class for puppies up to 1 year old. It teaches basic skills such as housetraining, chewing, and coming when called. AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy training is a natural lead in to the AKC® Canine Good Citizen® Program. For puppies up to 1 year old.
Group Testing: 5 puppy behaviors
1. Puppy Sits On Command- Treating permitted in STAR Puppy
2. Puppy Downs On Command
3. Puppy Allows Petting by another person
4. Puppy Allows Grooming by another person
5. Puppy allows owner/ handler to take away a treat or toy
Individual Testing: 5 puppy behaviors
1. Puppy Walks on loose leash in a straight line for 20'
2. Puppy Walks by other people- 5' away ( small crowd)
3. Puppy comes to handler when called from 6"- end of leash
4. Puppy reactions to distractions- (distractions presented 15' away)
5. Puppy stays on leash with another person , owner walks away 15-20' and returns
Community Canine is an advanced level of the CGC program, where training takes place in real-world situations like businesses, parks, and sidewalks in the Kona community. Prior CGC certification is required.
Dogs must pass all 10 items of the test to receive the CGCA title.